CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Letter T: Zoophonics - Timothy Tiger

~ @28 months ~
DSC08898
Finally back on track with our Letter of the Week.  We had great fun learning about Letter T.  I'm happy to witness some unexpected progress in this lesson.
 
T for Tiger.  As per tradition, our Letter introduction started with painting our animal pouch from MakingLearningFun.  I was pleasantly surprised when she asked to paint with brushes.  And she continued for a good 10mins before her hands got messy.
DSC08589
We did handprint tigers too.  As I only have 4 basic paint colours, I got her thinking on how we could get orange.  I loved her shy smiling face when she replied, "I don't know." We sang "When you mix red and yellow, you get orange" to the tune of 'If you're happy and you know it."
DSC08777
Took turns painting our hands.
DSC08789
T for Turtle.  I enjoyed working along side with Sweet Butterfly.  As she did her Turtle handprints, I used black markers to turn the orange handprints into Tigers.  And with no supervising, all her green handprints were smudged and she added patterns with her brush.  We just had to make do.
DSC08784 
Letter T flashcards.  Our animal pouch activity was a pretend play session - the tiger was hungry and wanted to eat the cards.  I called out a card and she slotted it into the pouch.  This was an activity invented by Sweet Butterfly during one of our earlier animal pouch and I had been following her lead.  But her reaction this time was so funny.  I burst out laughing when she told me "Train is for people to sit. Cannot eat."   My girl has grown.  Looks like we need to change tactic.
DSC08801
I hid the cards around our living room and asked her to find them.
DSC08809 DSC08810
     When it was her turn to hide the cards, she dumped them all under the cushion.  What innocent hiding.
DSC08748
DSC08749
Letter T Workfile.  I'm thrilled that she is more interested in her workfile now.  This idea had been introduced since Letter R and we ramped up the usage in Letter S.  She flipped through the workfile intensely.
DSC08740
T for Three and Troll.  As per expected, she stopped at the picture pieces of 'The Three Billy Goat Gruff" from Kizclub.  We had fun re-telling the story.  SHE LOVED PRETENDING TO BE THE TROLL.
DSC08743 DSC08828
Did the do-a-dots page from 3Dinosaurs printable story pack.  We used stickers instead.  I'd to help her as she insisted that the stickers were unable to cover the 'holes'.
DSC08754
T for Teddy Bear.  She sang the rhyme "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear",  the minute she saw the pieces from Kizclub.  No prompting needed.
DSC08776
T for Tree.  We practiced letter recognition using our tree.   She was no longer interested in learning her ABCs through this method.  Now she was more interested in 'picking' the apples by colour.  So we did colour sorting instead.  And read off the letters as she placed them in the basket.
DSC08939 DSC08946
    
T for Tulip.  I did up the tulip counting file folder for her from MamaMiss.  We practiced counting by pretend play planting and watering.
DSC08861
T for Transport.  We played with our transportation cards.  We had them since she was 1.5 yrs old.  I was amazed that she remembered how to match the words to the pictures.  We ran around singing “Over the mountains” and changed the mode of transportation in the song.  Sweet Butterfly loves this song and it has helped her to learn about the various mode of transportation. 
DSC08992 DSC08997

Pre-writing.  Did some pre-writing practice using printables from 3Dinosaurs (I bought the bundle) and 1+1+1=1.  These were included in the file to expose her to writing.

DSC08771 
Activities for Letter T.  Some shadow matching and sequencing with printables from 1+1+1=1.  She insisted on matching them facing down.   I may skip shadow matching next round as she had mastered it and is getting rather bored of it.  But then again, isn’t she creating new ways to play with it?  PicMonkey Collage
She improved a lot in her size sorting printables from Confessions of A Homeschooler.DSC08843 
We practiced patterns from Confessions of A Homeschooler.  This is quite hard for her age.  She showed some interest and was able to get it right.  Another big progress since I introduced patterning in Letter R.  Trick is to sing the patterns.
DSC08957 
We spent 2 hours on playdough using our Letter T mat and made some monsters.
DSC08923
She made a gingerbread man.  I know this has nothing to do with Letter T, but this was the first gingerbread man she made.  I just got to pen it down.
DSC08934
Used our pattern blocks too for the mats from Confessions of A Homeschooler
DSC08704
Letter Recognition.  I'm trying to build up her small letter recognition.  So when she asked to play with the water spray, I promptly agreed.  This was an impromptu activity and we spent a long while playing.  I'm so glad I'd came across this learn-your-ABC activity on pinterest.
DSC08852
Reflections: I'll need to churn up more activities to improve Sweet Butterfly's counting, small letter recognition and patterns.

Other things we did that.  These were pre-activities I planned before formally diving into Letter T.  The objectives were to get her intrigued and interested when we start talking about T.  I succeeded!
1) Making Tangyuan - A Chinese traditional delicacy
2) Baking an apple cake using the 'apples' plucked from our tree.


Linking to

mainbutton Preschool Powol Packets Tot School
 
Featured on
 I was featured for Tot School!

2 comments :

Kristina

Wow!!! Your daughter is so so blessed to have you pour so much time and love into getting materials together for her! It's so interesting to see the things they like and don't care for! We'll be picking up with Tot School in another couple of weeks!

Mama Tan

Hi Kristina, thanks! Looking forward to updates from your Tot School.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...