CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, 4 August 2013

Apple Cake

~ @28 months ~

I tried this recipe on picklebums on the very day it was posted.  It looked so delicious and fitted well into our pre-activities for Letter T.  And.......IT'S EASY FOR COOKING WITH TOTS.

Supplies and Directions:  See picklebums
Learn:
  1. Apples
  2. Various texture (flour, egg, sugar)
  3. Motor skills (mixing, sieving)
  4. Colour
  5. Measurements
  6. Vocabulary (e.g.: soft, powdery, coarse, knife, eggs, etc.)
  7. Practical life (danger of using a knife)
Preparation.  When cooking with Tots, I strongly suggest preparing everything you need.  You won't want your Tot playing with that dangerous knife while you grab the flour in your cabinet. 
Before I start a major activity, I’ll seat Sweet Butterfly down, talk gently but firmly to her.  I will explain what we will be doing, what’s her role and the rules.  For this baking session, I explained to her that we would be baking an apple cake.  It’s a surprise for Papa.  She replied "It's Papa's birthday."  I laughed and laughed as she kept repeating this.  Apparently, this 'surprise' element intrigued her and she was very excited to be involve in preparing the surprise.

Exploring apples.  I always let Sweet Butterfly touch and explore the ingredients, except oil (too oily for my liking).  We talked about apples too.  It's colour, smell, taste and shape.

Her 1st job: Pass the apples.

I contemplated on chopping all the apples prior to engaging her in the preparation.  But decided to chop them in her presence.  When using dangerous equipment, I always set the rules before using them.  I explained to her the danger of playing with knife.  As I cut the apples, I showed her the seeds.  You can extend this to seeds counting.  I didn't as I was too busy answering "Why apples have seeds?", "Why this one has little bit seeds?", “Why that one has so much seeds?”
 

We chatted and chatted, as I chopped the apples to pieces,  I simply just love this bonding session. Am also surprised at her waiting patiently for the apples to be chopped.
Her 2nd job: Help transfer the chopped apples into the mixing bowl.

She accidentally dropped a small piece of apple on the flour and insisted on cleaning the floor.

Her 3rd job: Mix the apples with cinnamon powder.  I discovered she isn't into cinnamon smell. 

Her 4th job: Adding the remaining ingredients and mix.  She stirred and stirred.  I took a few seconds watching her stirred the mixture.  I marvelled at how much she had grown.  Images of us cooking and baking together for the many years to come flooded my mind.
 

She watched as I poured the mixture into the making tray.
 
Baked!

This is one easy recipe to cook with Tots.  And it's so delicious.  When Papa was back, Sweet Butterfly screamed "Surprise! Happy Birthday! I got surprise for you.". She truly love preparing surprises.

Linking to
 

Tuesday-Tots-button

TGIF Linky Party hosted by 123Homeschool4Me

 

For the Kids Fridays at SunScholars.com 

No Time For Flash Cards


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...